Tuesday, March 09, 2004

Some People Get All The Breaks

I came home yesterday, and there was a strange truck parked in my driveway. This wouldn't be a big deal, except that there is only room for one vehicle in my driveway, and this truck was taking it. I decided that, instead of parking on the street, I would block in the offending four-wheeler. That way, when s/he wanted to get out, s/he would have to come and ask me to move my car.

Not 15 minutes went by.

Very shortly, my neighbor Frank came over. Frank was slightly bloody, and wearing a cast and sling on his right arm.

"What the fuck happened to you?" I asked.

"I ran myself over" Frank replied.

"Of course." I said.

I turns out that Frank had been working on his transmission. It had not been quite right, so he parked it half in my driveway and half in his so that he could get under it and work on it easier. Of course, when he started fooling with the linkage, it knocked the transmission out of gear and the truck rolled down the hill, over his neck, collar bone, and arm, then came to rest on top of him. Luckily, he had his cell phone with him and was able to call the hospital to come and remove the offending vehicle. They parked said truck in my spot while they carted his sorry ass off to the ER.

I'm going to have him fix the transmission on my steam-roller.

No comments: