Thursday, April 10, 2003

The Good Life:
One man’s guide to making it look easy, always winning, and high-rolling on a shoestring budget.

Introduction/Disclaimer

“You’re such an asshole!”

“I know,” I said, “why do you think I always win?”

The following is your first lesson, and one of the most important. If you take nothing else from this blog, please remember this, it will save your life. The risk, of course, is that you may end up with something that’s not worth saving.

LESSON # 1

The person with the least to lose always wins, and the person who cares the least has the most power.

First, take the example of a prizefight. Personally, I wouldn’t step into the ring with an ugly man. What does he care if I bust up his face a little? I’ve got this pretty mug to watch out for and I’m a lot more likely to end up looking like him than he is to end up looking like me. Besides, all I have going for me is good looks, charm, and money, and I haven’t got a whole lot of the latter two. I need to protect my assets. Only fight people prettier than you. That’s why I always fight girls.

Now think about power in terms of a business negotiation. If you don’t care whether the deal works out or not, then you can stick on every issue and get exactly what you want. Drive the price up, so what if the other guy walks away? He wants a two-year contract? Nah, make it six months. If it works out, great, if not, so what? Now apply that to a relationship. If you don’t care whether you stay together or not, then the first time your partner says “You got to change your evil ways” you can say “I think not, actually.”

That was lesson one. If this material is over your head, or you don’t like the way I think, then bugger off. On the other hand, if you want to know more, then tune in tomorrow. Welcome to my blog. Welcome to my mind.

No comments: