Wednesday, June 11, 2003

I'm a Sucker for Cover Art

I'm currently re-reading (among about 5 other books) Holidays on Ice by David Sedaris. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it. I have heard it referred to (maybe on the back of the book) as the "Drinking Man's Christmas." Sounds perfect for me.

Right now, you are thinking to yourself, "But Trent, It's June. Doesn't the three month Christmas season we have in this country take care of your holiday fix? Why read a Christmas book during summer?"

And my response is four fold:
1) I like David Sedaris, and this is the only one of his books I own. If you have a problem with me reading Christmas books in June, send me more Sedaris.
2) I like Christmas. A lot. It's just so damn much fun. Whoever said "let's mix raw eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, and a shitload of rum and brandy" was a genius.
3) I'm not sure if it qualifies as a Christmas book if it contains stories about self-mutilation or with titles like "Dinah, The Christmas Whore."
4) There is a picture of a rocks glass full of ice and brown liquor on the front cover that I like to imagine is scotch . The glass has a snowflake design etched into it, and the ice has cooled it down so that there is a layer of sweat running off the enticing beverage. Everytime I see the book, I have to pick it up just to salivate lustily at the front cover. After a few minutes of holding it, I simply open it and start to read.

I'm a sucker for beauty.

No comments: