Friday, May 02, 2003

Communication Problems

I'm 2 or 3 years older than a lot of my friends. I know that doesn't sound like a lot, but it is. Allow me to explain why.

The world moves so quickly these days. Think about it. The stone age started around 8000 BC. The Bronze age didn't start until 3500 BC. The Iron age wasn't until 1500 BC and has lasted through to today (unless you want to argue that we are in the silicon age or the plastic age or some shit like that at which point you can write your own damn opinions in the comments). Today, however, we don't have to wait thousands of years for the next new development to take hold. The steam engine was perfected by James Watt in the mid 1700's, and it took less than 150 years for the gasoline powered automobile to come about. And less than 100 years later that was perfected in the Aston Martin V-12 Vanquish which James Bond drove in his latest film.

But I digress. One hundred years ago, the changes that we world underwent during two years was not enough to even be noticed. Now everything is broken into 30 second blocks. Which brings us (or me, if no one else is still reading) to the point. And that is that I was old enough to experience stuff that my friends have never heard of. When I was in high school, no one got laid. Ever. Two years later, The Blondage knows people who were giving sexual favors for milk-money in the seventh grade.

Some more examples:
I mention Fraggle Rock and am greeted with blank stares. Duran Duran...who? And you should see what happens when I mention that I actually saw E.T. in the theater (the first time around). I made an off color joke the other day, and a girl said "You're bad" I said "I'm nationwide!" then immediately wanted to crawl down the storm sewer and hide. The Blondage calls it the "Two Year Generational Gap." We consider it to be the largest obstacle in our budding romance. If anyone knows a cure for people who don't remember the eighties, let me know.

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

No comments: