Wednesday, May 14, 2003

Soapbox

I was over at one of my favorite blogs today, and I found out that the author of the blog gets to go on NPR to discuss blogging. There were several comments, the last of which was this one:

"I'm sorry, why was this blog picked to represent Seattle weblogs to the local NPR audience? As if blogs need more 'naval-gazing' added to their rep? Oh, but it's so hard-hitting, this blog! It mentions all the things that the tv news never tells you, yes! Like how good X2 is! Wow, we'll sure beat Bush in 2004 with this kind of info!

Out of Seattle, for a blog which gives you something useful and literary, nothing beats American Samizdat.

Perhaps we can have a new blog category . . . let's see, there's warbloggers, there's the diarists, and oh yes--now there's the fluffbloggers."

Needless to say, this pissed me off. People who take themselves too seriously, well, they'll die of a heart-attack soon and not be anyone's problem. Well, maybe I was hasty, but this was my response.

"I get enough depressing shit from MSN and work. I, for one, would rather read Matt's blog than, well, just about anything else on the web.

If you want useful and literary, read the classics or the Kama Sutra. If you want pleasurable, fun reading with unique insights at times, and belly laughs at others, or if you just want to escape for a few minutes from the stress of the work day, then read this blog. That's what I want out of blogging, and that's what I get.

I don't expect to change the world through my blog, and I don't think that Matt does either (if I'm out of line let me know). I just want to give someone an opportunity to smile when they may not have yet today. I hope that my blog does that for someone. Matt's does it for me."

Funny tomorrow. I swear.

No comments: